Wednesday, May 4, 2011

UT Classes/OLLI and UT Film Directing classes

This morning was Ethics and the subject was Guantanamo and torturing.  Of course the teacher reminded us of all the legal mistakes that have been made by the detention of so many people and the problems we faced by not following the Geneva guidelines.  After much thought I reminded the teacher that 9/11 was a unique moment for the country and many Americans were blood thirsty.  I suggested that when faced with a new crisis we rely on what we have instead of devising new ways of dealing with a new kind of enemy.  Use Geneva and then devise new methods to face the new and unique threat.  I was so surprised that so many Texans and the teacher, a Law Prof thanked me for my input after class.  It's so easy to be a knee jerk liberal and harder for us 60's kids to take a look at why we did what we did.

I then ran over to Miguel Alvarez's directing class to see THE FIRST FIREWORKS directed by Kory Hill.  The DVD was so well edited.  Music, lighting, crickets chirping and fireworks.  And now we  watched it together at home.  Abe cried.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment