Monday, May 16, 2011

CACTUS CAFE/HANOI DRIVE- IN ICE CREAM SHOP

Tonight I ran up to the Cactus Cafe on campus  to hear a talk about Jazz during the Cold War delivered by Jay Trachtenberg and a rabbi Jazz Musician, Neil Blumofe.  I've been listening to Jay T. on NPR since moving here...I thought he was a kid by his voice.  He's a middle aged guy, very knowledgeable and confirmed what I felt about him....relaxed, smart and inspiring. Good to listen to.  It was obvious the two speakers love jazz and I learned things about the 60's and diplomacy with USSR that I never ever knew.  Met Malina studying for finals in the Union with her best bud Tony..nice!

And finally our world traveler  has made arrangements to get home.  Not until June 23 but there's a date on the horizon.  Check out these latest photos from Hanoi.  They so remind me of a stage set for a James Dean movie in the 1950's.  The last photo could have been a small town in Texas.

Liz Moskowitz Photography

1 comment: