Tuesday, May 3, 2011

BILL CUNNINGHAM NEW YORK/AFS CEDDO

Tonight Abe and I saw different films at the Alamo S. Lamar.  I could not pass up AIGA's sneak preview of a doc about my favorite fashion photographer, Bill Cunningham, a NY icon.  He's in his 80's, lived for 50+ years in a tiny apt above Carnegie Hall that consisted of a bed and filing cabinets.  He bicycles all over the city, has two featured spots every Sunday in Sunday Styles NYT where his photographs of fashion on the street and social events and gatherings of the rich and famous are cherished treasures.  He uses film cameras and has the film developed in the same shop each week selecting his picks for the week from negatives.  He is a simple, plain, unpretentious guy who LOVES beautiful clothes.  I loved this film!

Abe saw the AFS Essential Cinema film CEDDO in the continued series of post-colonial African films by Ousmane Sembene.  He reports he really liked this film, a complex story of the spiritual colonization of the Senegalese by Muslims. Once again a 3 page historical perspective of this film given to each viewer upon arrival at the theater.   A good night at the cinema.

1 comment:

  1. I will add it to my list of films. It sounds great and I know it is playing.

    Always the best recommendations!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete