Wednesday, May 25, 2011

BRIDESMAIDS

I soloed this Judd Apatow produced film today as Abe clearly was not interested and tennis beckoned.  Boy was I disappointed.  The story is about two best friends and the stressors put on their relationship when one gets engaged.  A good part of the film is the casting with the women being in their 30's and 40's and all sizes and shapes.  Kristen Wiig wrote the film and stars and does an adequate job.  I did not find her performance as funny as I've been reading.   However I thought Melissa Mc Carthy as the groom's sister was indeed hysterical!  Also the English twin roommates were fiercely funny as well.  Clearly I have been effected by all  of the indie and foreign films we see lately.  I expect something different from filmmakers.  Watching women barf and shit their pants in a fancy bridal salon smacks of adolescent improv and frat boy humor. Just not that funny! 

On a footnote.  It was tough seeing Jill Clayburgh looking thin and wane. She died before the film was distributed.  I was reminded of how much I liked her as an actor.

1 comment:

  1. I do not want to see a bunch of women barf, so I might pass, though Ira really wants to see this.

    My best critic!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete