Sunday, February 12, 2012

A SEPARATION

I was prepared to love this film because everyone I know who has seen it told me I would.  Both Abe and I loved this Iranian film.  It is beautifully shot, the acting is so real and wrenching, and the story is about a series of events that occur and how two families are effected by them.  Watching the sandwich generation of 3 generations, old, middle aged and adolescent struggling with life creates a tension in the film that has you at the edge of your seat.  Abe pointed out that the cultural differences in this film are so evident because no one got a gun and shot anyone to relieve their angst.

I spent many days in family court in Brooklyn as a social worker and was reminded of the pain families experience.  But in Iran there is a familiarity in the way the subjects relate to the judge  that is markedly different. Once again a foreign film has opened my eyes to a world I knew nothing about.

Tonight I watched Adele sweep the Grammys (wise choice) and I heard Jennifer Hudson sing I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU in tribute to Whitney and cried.  That voice!!!!!!!  I hope Whitney has  finally found her peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment