Wednesday, February 29, 2012

CK Mc Farland and Chale's Notes

Had my second class with CK and am so impressed with her teaching style.  She is very intelligent, gives good insight and techniques for developing a character, acknowledges her student's strengths and has oodles of good experience to share.  (Did I say "oodles?")  Oy vey!  Got a chance to work with a talented and energetic classmate at home and in class.  I'm becoming less intimidated by my classmates' talent and experience (never mind their youth and good looks).

In the evening we went to AFS Essential Cinema and saw WANDERERS OF THE DESERT a Tunisian film that was beautiful to look at but had me perplexed throughout.  Abe's advice is to just watch a film like this, experience it and not try to understand the story.  I then came home and read Chale Nafus' 4 pages of notes and it all made perfect sense.  It's like teaching your brain to WAIT, experience first and understand after. Nevertheless this is a beautifully photographed film by Nacer Khemir who brings us a joyous and mystical view of Islam rather than a fundamentalist view of death and punishment.  Thank goodness for the creative arts in the Middle East.

And to top it all off, the AFS interns presented me with my own AFS staff t-shirt.  What a great gift.

1 comment:

  1. Wear your t-shirt in New York, my favorite film critic, who has offered a new perspective on viewing a film.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete