Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A NEW DAY IN OLD SANA'A/Austin Film Society

We begin a new Essential Cinema series this evening with films from the Middle East and beyond (Children of Abraham/Ibrahim).  Abe and I both loved this film directed by Bader Ben Hirsi (2006), a Yemeni filmmaker raised and educated in England. The story is one of romantic love and limitations faced by the lovers because of class and arranged unions.  There's a Shakespearean twist with mistaken identity because of a dress worn by a woman shrouded in darkness (and not a veil!) that is intriguing and engaging.  And throughout the film there are funny and some hysterical moments that bring a view of Yemen and culture we would never know from recent current events.   The beauty of the ancient city (Sana'a and Amal)  works so well as a back drop to this story of Yemeni rituals and customs.  The three "yenta" women who carry the story along with their on-going gossip are so enjoyable and real.  Alas I felt so uncritical about anything in this film (I am so easy to please) that Chale's notes which included some criticism gave me food for thought and reminded me how easily entertained I am  by foreign filmmakers.

In Brooklyn there are large numbers of Yemenites owning many of the candy stores throughout the borough and traveling back and forth between the two countries.  They hold on to their customs and culture fiercely.  In my experience working with these families, girls are taken out of school in early adolescence to learn the tasks of the home, marry young, and the boys are brought into the retail businesses.  But tonight I saw a view of what goes on back in Yemen.  So I came to Austin to learn about Yeminites whom I encountered in Brooklyn.  Sweet!

1 comment: