Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Warren Jeffs Gets Life Plus 20

Forgive the seriousness of this post which is not about culture, the arts, food and wonderful people I've met in Austin.  This last month has brought me right back to my work, my identity, and the world I lived in for 36 years.  I had been a social worker for 36 years back in NY with a specialty in the abuse and neglect of children and oftentimes their mothers.   The cases of Casey Anthony and Warren Jeffs have brought me right back to all of the kids I advocated for.  Bear with me.  I had babies as young as 18 months who presented to the hospital with positive gonorrhea cultures, 5y.o. boys turned out as chicken prostitutes with flaming dyed blonde hair, 3 month olds left in the care of 8 year olds with severe burns to the face; numerous drug addicted neonates, adolescent mothers who were illiterate and the mothers of multiple incestuous births.  Babies who were malnourished, infected with preventable diseases and hearing impaired kids thought to be retarded.  I LOVED my work.  It's the world Abe and I lived  with as we raised Josh and Elizabeth.  And while I hated the circus of the Anthony trial  today I found comfort as a Texas jury did the right thing in less than 30 minutes.  They found Warren Jeffs,  this HORRIBLE pedophile, guilty.  I hope forever that his victims find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment