Tuesday, August 16, 2011

THE HELP at the Westgate

I enjoyed reading Kathryn Stockett's book last year and didn't agree with the criticism she received regarding her choice of subject matter.   I have always seen films about the Deep South in New York City surrounded by people like me (Northerners) or immigrants.  Tonight the theater was packed with  Southern women,  and I was very aware that what I was watching on the screen was a reenactment of the lives these women have led.  It made a difference for me and I realized even more so the journey one must overcome to be like the journalist in the film, the young woman who interviews the maids and asks them how they feel about their employers, their charges, their lives. It takes a special kind of person to step back from what's been ingrained into them and see people as people.  And to question the status quo, the law of their land, their historic culture.   I was happy to hear that some of the "help" had a kind employer here and there, made it more real.  This film is about a shameful time in our history, the 1960's where it seems there was an assassination every month!  Where many whites fought so hard to keep our lives separate and unequal.   This film was so well acted by Viola Davis, Emma Stone, Sissy Spacek (she was a hoot!) and Cicely Tyson.  Jessica Chastain will make every guy's heart flutter she's so beautiful!  And acts well too.

It's not a perfect film but an important story about women standing up for their dignity, their rights, their souls, their lives.  We need more films like this for young women to see.  Films like this teach us how to find courage and how to behave when everyone is behaving miserably.

As an aside,  I just loved that the young woman who emerged with the voice of conscience had curly hair!

1 comment:

  1. Your review is very helpful. I am going, with husband or not!

    And I loved the book, too!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete