Thursday, August 11, 2011

SARAH's KEY at the Violet Crown

I cried and cried and cried and cried some more during the first half of this film.  To see the French families treated with absolute brutal disregard , cruelty and violence by their countrymen because they were Jews makes one shake fists at the screen and the heavens.  I pictured Abe and me, Josh and Elizabeth in these deportations and cried some more.  The novel by Tatiana de Rosnay tells a great story and the movie does more than an adequate job in telling this tale on film.  Kristin Scott Thomas and Melusine Mayance are fine actors as the journalist and Sarah.  Aidan Quinn was a surprising cast member and I liked the role so I ended up liking his performance.  This is a sad tale of  France's shameful participation in the multitudes of Jews sent to their deaths in Auschwitz.  I came home to my family and made dinner.  How fortunate we are. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this review totally, though-as always-the book was better.

    Thanks for your astute observations!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete