Wednesday, June 29, 2011

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

While waiting for 8 Novocaine shots to kick in on the dentist's chair I read AMERICANS' FAVORITE POEMS.  These are poems selected by Americans from every state, from prisons, immigrants as well, and sent to Robert Pinsky, the Poet Laureate of the U.S. in 2000.  I remember seeing some of these poems being read by the Americans who chose them on PBS.  Farmers, auto mechanics, housewives, teens, fast food workers, doctors, lawyers and more.  And today I came upon this famous Frost poem and the young man who selected it.  The American who chose this poem is a 28y.o. Navy man, the youngest of 8 children born in Idaho. He graduated second in his class from H.S., loaded up his old Celica with $700 in his pocket and headed to California on a ROTC scholarship that paid for his tuition and nothing else at Loyola Marymount University.  He had no idea where he was going but knew he didn't want to end up in Utah like everyone else.  Now he's been to 30 countries, has a college education and you can feel the pride he has that he chose the road not taken.
I feel that way about Austin.  When I was 16y.o. and went to college there was no money for anything but the City University of New York.  So I opted for Queens College 2 hours away because everyone in the Bronx went to Hunter or City College.  And when I could retire I thumbed my nose at Florida, the Berkshires, the Jersey shore and chose Austin, Texas where Elizabeth had gone to UT.  Why?  Because it's the road not taken and I could be me.  And even better, Abe joined me on this journey as well. I'm really lucky and eternally grateful.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post in reponse to a beautiful poem. It is always good journey to take the road less taken.

    Pam

    PS I have used that book in my class!

    ReplyDelete