Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Southern Hospitality and Shopping For Thanksgiving

The last 3 days and nights I've been at HEB and Central Market in preparation for Thanksgiving at least 3 times.  In contrast to years spent on line with stressed out unhappy people (both consumers and workers) I continue to feel so happy about the entire experience.  Last night on the line to check out at HEB (where everyone looked like they had just finished a 12 hour shift) a woman asked me how to make a turkey because she's always been in charge of the tamales in her family. And so I told her. I told her tamales are much harder to prepare.   Every cashier has asked me how I am, how is my day so far (even when it's 8a.m. in the morning!) and just filled this cold northeastern soul with the warmth of southern courtesy.  While I'll never get accustomed to the governor or drivers in Texas I will always be delighted by  the southern hospitality, courtesy and warmth. Each time I experience it it's a "wow" moment. It has definitely made my life much sweeter!  Happy Prep for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment