Tuesday, November 22, 2011

THE AWFUL TRUTH/Austin Film Society

Tonight was the first film in the Comedy of Remarriage series and this first film was a magnificent beginning.  Made in 1937 starring Cary Grant and Irene Dunne with Ralph Bellamy in a supporting role as an Oklahoman country bumpkin suitor we laughed our way through the brilliant dialogue.  It takes some time getting accustomed to the rich life of these incredibly well dressed one percenters who spend their days entertaining themselves.  Once I get over asking "who's going to work today?" over and over in my head I relax and see the spoof of the upper class.  The on-screen relationship between  Grant and Dunne is so appealing and alive.  Their digs at each other are so well timed and delivered.  My favorite scene is when  the wife realizes she does not want to lose her husband to his latest fiancee so she enters the scene of a stuffy upper class parlor as his slutty sister who hysterically sabotages the up-coming wedding.  We both loved, loved, loved this film.  I am so looking forward to the next 5.

1 comment:

  1. She can. I will ask her to get it.Sounds like it was lots of fun!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete