Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Recycled Dress and E.A.S.T.

We're back at E.A.S.T. today and our first stop was Pine Street Station to say "hi" to Liz.  When I walked in I saw a petite Asian  woman wearing a brown polka dot dress.   I wore that dress to temple for the Jewish High Holidays in Austin 2010.  Then I recycled to LOVELY, my favorite vintage shop in Austin.  It was a brown polka dot shirt waist.  Hand sewn.  I picked it up for $10 on S.Congress at BOHEMIA NOW on a sale rack.  I asked her "did you buy that dress at LOVELY?"  she said "Yes, I did!   It had just come in. "  She said it was the dress Julia Roberts wore when she went to the races in PRETTY WOMAN.  OMG.  Could this dress have ended up on a better person?  Not only that.  She is the owner of THAI FRESH, a restaurant across the street from our library on Mary and S. 5th St.  One I have always been interested in trying.  So there you have it.  Hugs and kisses with a stranger about a recycled dress and a referral to a restaurant in our neighborhood.
Today we visited ART POST and DELTA MILLWORKS and an ironworker, Foster Talgo.  OMG. This man created the most beautiful metal tree.  And clocks galore.  He spent a long time talking to us as did John Langmore, a wonderful photographer who presented THE FAULT LINE.  A photo document of East Austin and it's journey into the artistic creative world.  We had a wonderful day in Austin.  It was 80 degrees as well!

1 comment:

  1. And the legacy of your dress and your spirit carries on in so many ways.

    Lots of love, birthday gal!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete