Tuesday, September 20, 2011

SONG OF THE EXILE/Austin Film Society

I loved, loved, loved this film directed by a woman, Ann Hui,of mixed Asian lineage, Japanese and Chinese.  While Chale's notes as always gave great background info I understood this storyline even before getting home and reading them!  This film spoke to my favorite subject of familial relationships and the cultural differences in family dynamics. We observe two generations of estrangement from a mother and reconciliations, class consciousness and distinction, and the unique way the young woman in this film makes her own journey and choices to resolve her own inner turmoil.  The main character played by the BEAUTIFUL Maggie Cheung is so appealing.  She is intelligent, brave, expresses her emotions so naturally and fearlessly.  The cinematography is beautiful and the stories and photos we have heard and seen from Liz about Hong Kong and China made this film so attractive and personally enticing.  Abe loved this film as well.  Thank-you AFS and Chale for bringing us films from parts of the world I may never ever get to.  This broadens my own journey and as always will help me in my ongoing struggle to "keep an open mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment