Tuesday, September 13, 2011

FALLEN ANGELS/Austin Film Society

We continue with Wong Kar-Wai's films in this Hong Kong series.   Truth be told my AHA moment comes after reading Chale Nafus' 4 pages of notes and Abe's comments while leaving the theater.  The actors are beautiful, uninhibited and so atypical. The film is visually captivating with high energy, raw emotions, very funny scenes and characters SO appealing that I put aside my confusion about the storyline. Thanks to Chale I can tell you this is once again a story of longing and desire.  Four characters include an assassin, his very sensual female boss, a mute who is adorable inside and out and a young woman who is one of the funniest jilted lovers I have ever met.  There is a scene where she beats up a life size doll who resembles her rival "Blondie" that is over the top.  Abe loves these films and reminds me that the filmmaker takes ordinary characters and presents their reality through a completely different lens.  This film is an artistic experience  that I compare to standing in front of a painting at the Met.  Somethings I get and others need the docent's explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment