Wednesday, February 16, 2011

UT OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Center)

On Wednesdays we head up to campus where we attend continuing ed classes.  Today was our Contemporary Art seminar.  I am learning to look at contemporary art with an open mind and an open eye.  Instead of "WHAT is that"? (those of you who know me can hear my voice)...my emphasis has changed to "what IS that"?    This has been a REALLY informative seminar with gallery owners and artists as guests.  In the afternoon Thomas Staley from the Harry Ransom Ctr spoke to us on DEEP SECRETS OF SUCCESSFUL ACQUISITIONS FOR IMPORTANT ARCHIVE COLLECTIONS.  Now this is a speaker!  He's the guy who has acquired all of the James Joyce, Robert De Niro, Tom Stoppard, Norman Mailer, Arthur Miller (and on and on) papers, letters, costumes.  35 million!  Sometimes I have to stop myself from knocking Texas oil (when it's used for this).   This guy runs an archive center like it's the football team. Afterwords  a stop at Central Market in preparation for  our dear PS friends Pam and Ira who make their way to Austin  manana.  Lots of fun in store and more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment