Friday, February 11, 2011

22 Months in Austin

So here we are in Austin where it's 55 degrees and Texans are complaining about a really cold winter. Abe and I nod and smile knowing our NYC friends have weathered multiple snowstorms and a bazillion inches of snow!  I have started this blog to let people know what a couple of retired Social Worker transplants from Park Slope, Brooklyn have learned about this amazing city.  The courtesy at HEB, The Great Outdoors, Gold's Gym, the Alamos, Telephone Directory Assistance and many many others blows us away!  The driving sucks and yes we've already been totaled and now I know what T-bone means!  Most importantly we've found a world of creative arts that is so affordable, accessible, unique, friendly, and inviting.  We are members of AFS, AFF, The Blanton, Paramount, Austin Playhouse.   I get daily posts on Facebook from numerous artisitic venues.  We attend classes on Weds through OLLI at UT and when we're really old (like 65) we'll take classes at UT sin gratis.  (Did I get that right)? My daughter suggested I start a blog about all of our gallivanting so here you have it.  This week was Agnes Varda's THE GLEANERS AND I  and the doc SONS OF PERDITION.  Both excellent!  On Wed a great lecture from the Director of the Visual Arts Center on campus and then a lecture from the Police Commissioner.  I shop at Lovely (great vintage clothes) and my blond curls are maintained by Georgia at Propaganda.  She's miraculous!  So I'll post my finds and hope they're informative. Tonight it's El Meson with our friend Reed.

No comments:

Post a Comment