Tuesday, October 4, 2011

PEKING OPERA BLUES/AFS

Tonight was the final film of the Hong Kong series.  This film made by Tsui Hark who studied filmmaking at UT is boldacious, energetic, BEAUTIFUL to look at, funny, rapid in movement, and it's  3 leading women are drop dead beautiful.  The two young men they hook up with in their escapades are quite adorable as well and one reminded me of Harry Potter with his round glasses and scarf.  Chale's program notes (5 pages tonight!) provide great historical perspective and I wonder how I've ever watched a foreign film without Chale's notes.  This film is an action film, a martial arts film, a shoot em up keystone cops film.  We saw it on Blue Ray and the quality of the film was beautiful to watch.  The audience thoroughly enjoyed the misspelled and incorrect subtitles which added to the light heartedness of the film.  Once again a terrific choice that both Abe and I loved.

The day started at KUT where I volunteered a 4 hour shift during John Aielli's Eklektikos. The phones did not stop ringing and we brought in $30K+ during this shift.  Can you imagine?  It is a pleasure sitting next to my acting buddy Rudi Lee while we answer the phones.  KUT was such a helpful transitional tool when I first arrived from Brooklyn.  I love this station, the music, the announcers and will be a loyal volunteer.  Night y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment