Monday, September 24, 2012

THE MASTER

The most masterful aspect of this film is clearly the performances delivered by Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  I cannot comment enough on how breathtaking Joaquin Phoenix is in this role of a mentally tormented soul.  He proves himself to be a physical actor whose body language has a script all of it's own.  His interpretation of his character is shockingly portrayed.  Hoffman delivers as always with incredible power and strength.  Alas, the story line is not one I found as compelling as the performances.  A cult figure, narcissistic, self-centered and pompous finds a following of mostly women (what else is new?) and abuses his power to control.

A funny aside:  In a scene filled with nude females at a party Abe leaned in and said "want a role as an extra?" The only time I laughed.

2 comments:

  1. I saw it on Saturday, and felt similarly about the story line. It didn't move me, but I did appreciate the amazing acting and beautiful shots.

    Also, hilarious comment by Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same response, Addie. The performances were brilliant, though. I LOVED Abe's comment.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete