Thursday, September 6, 2012

Motherese:The Universal Language of Mothers

I was with a middle aged Vietnamese woman yesterday when my cell phone rang. Ann speaks adequate and broken English.  Ours is a new relationship so we didn't know much about each other.  I asked her if it was OK if I took the call as I don't like answering cell phones in small public places.  The call was from Josh who is in the midst of moving to Austin and his calls are usually important these days.  Ann gave me the OK, I answered his questions and when I got off the phone Ann asked me if that was my son.  I was surprised and said it was..."how did you know?"  She answered "because you were so loving in the way you spoke."  She then went on to tell me she is the mother of 4 adolescents (I commiserated) and she showed me photos of her 17y.o. beautiful daughter.

The night before Michelle Obama delivered a speech at the DNC that spoke to mothers.  So many people commented on that.  Thank goodness for Motherese.  Where would the world be without it?

No comments:

Post a Comment