Wednesday, June 27, 2012

VAHO/Austin Film Society

Last night as we continued with Films of Latin America we were presented with an extremely complex story of 3 friends in Mexico City whose lives intersect over three different time periods.  A pivotal event has effected them and their journeys through their difficult lives.  I had a very difficult time following the story line.  And this morning I woke up to read Chale Nafus' program notes and the vaho (vapor) was removed from my eyes.  And I could see why he loves this complex story telling, the photography and the cultural history the filmmaker brings to us.  Chale's notes are like having a sign language interpreter of a language I don't see/hear so easily.  Whoever said appreciating art or film has to be easy?  I would recommend this film only if you have Chale's notes to provide rich in depth history.
The filmmaker is Alejandro Gerber Bicecci.  He commuted to a University on public transportation while editing a film.  He saw and learned so much.  That I can relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment