Wednesday, June 13, 2012

RAISING ARIZONA at the Paramount

When it's hot in Austin those classic films at the Paramount are a perfect way of spending an evening.  We laughed our heads off at this hysterical zany Coen Brothers comedy.  Nicolas Cage and John Goodman carry off their humor impeccably, with their Southern style so realistically portrayed  it reminds me that it's good to revisit old films.  To see them through a different lens and time in your life.  In 1987 I was the much younger mother of a toddler and an infant and this film was creepy to me.  And tonight with a 24 and a 27y.o. under my belt I laughed my head off in the South where I now live.  I  now could experience the zany humor in a couple kidnapping a quintuplet because the wife's infertile  (she's a cop and he's a repeat felon).  And  yet they seriously convey their very loving  feelings for this infant who is kidnapped yet again, left on top of cars and on highways. Jesse Trussell gave a spirited intro with good program notes as well.  He's like a young version of Chale.  Re-visit this film, it will knock your socks off.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was funny way back, but saw it twice; maybe the first time it did not seem as funny.

    Good thing to do during the summer, always-movies!!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete