Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vincas and Mulch

What could be so interesting about weeding, planting vincas and spreading mulch?  I'll tell you.  I came home from yoga and cycling at Gold's Gym to do some serious back bending gardening  on a big plot of mounded garden not seen from the street.  And while I dug, raked, pulled, fed and watered by hand I realized the enormous gratitude I felt toward our garden.  It's a place that is not politicized; doesn't deny me or anyone else their rights; responds beautifully and graciously to loving kindness; reminds me I loved watching my children grow; only questions my intelligence when I plant the wrong thing and rewards me for planting the right thing; and makes me feel proud that I could have a hand in the eco system of Austin.  I watch butterflies and bees feed and plop down on my flowers.  People walk, run, drive,and bike by and tell me how happy they are to see my garden.  And when anyone compliments the garden to Abe he always says, "it's all my wife's doing."  And he runs outside to tell dog walkers not to let their pooches trample my flowers.  He is so protective.  That is what my garden does for me and I am forever grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Planting a garden is planting a part of oneself, and it is clear you have done such a good job!

    Your Pammy

    ReplyDelete