Thursday, March 15, 2012

KUT/Springsteen and Ray Wylie Hubbard/ What a Welcome Home

Flew back into Austin just before midnight, 4 hours of sleep, hyper, bluesy, spacey, getting back into this very different town and it's own vibe.  HEB, Gold's Gym, laundry and some gardening all by noon.  People smiling wherever you go; my regular check-out women all friendly, interested in my trip; ABC pest control guy so courteous and helpful but I'm still in NYC withdrawal mode.  UNTIL, UNTIL, I click on KUT when I finally sit down and there's Bruce Springsteen talking to musicians at the Convention Center, live stream.  He's talking about his own musical journey and the song that changed everything for him.  The ANIMALS singing "We Gotta Get Out of This Place", the first song that addressed class consciousness for him, that told his story, that inspired him to write, write, write about his world.  He talked about the great contribution of Motown artists and swears that James Brown jamming with Mick Jagger is the best musical performance in the entire experience of music.  And as I write Jay Trachtenberg is replaying Ray Wylie Hubbard at the 4 SEASONS this morning.  Everytime I hear Ray Wylie sing that talkin' blues autobiographical song (THE GRIFTER'S HYMNAL) about his stripper girlfriend when he was a young guitar player in a tough bar and how proud he is of his son who has become a guitar player I just know I'm in the right place for me.  Thank-you KUT for reminding me what I love about Austin.  I'm not at SXSW this a.m. so you brought it to me.  I'm home.

1 comment: