Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What Would Never Happen in Brooklyn #3

So when we realized we had a water pressure problem I called our regular plumber from ABC.  He comes out and checks and tells us rather than replacing a pressure valve for big bucks why don't I call the city and ask them to come check the water meter and make sure it's not clogged.  While he's here he takes off two hose heads we were unable to remove with numerous people trying all week.  He charges us $0 and of course I send him off with home baked cookies. So first  I call the 311# and get a courteous and helpful response and connection to  the City Water Dispatcher and another pleasant woman tells me someone will be out TODAY and will leave a note on my door.
So here's how this plays out in Brooklyn:  I make five calls to get the correct number never speaking with a live human.  When I get a live person she/he will be short, rushed, annoyed, take all of my personal info, put me on hold and then I'll get cut off.  Start the same process over again and repeat all of my info to be told someone will be out after I fill out forms and return them to some NYC Bureau.  After the forms are sent and lost and sent again someone comes out (3 weeks later) and leaves no written outcome.  It takes another week to get their determination.  The city will charge me $600 (approximately) for their review and then I'll hire a plumber who will charge me about $1500 or more.  Meanwhile I'm showering at the gym everyday and Abe takes twenty minutes each shower to get wet!

Today Austin may be the 11th largest city but it's the #1 BEST in overall helpfulness!

1 comment:

  1. The City would charge you at least a thousand, like they did with our sidewalk!


    Pam

    ReplyDelete