Thursday, March 14, 2013

SXSW Day#7 with 'William and the Windmill'

The Grand Jury Documentary award was well deserved.  Every once in a while I see a film that changes me, touches deep into my core and today 'William and the Windmill' did just that.  It is an honest film about relationships between those that are given a great deal because they are exceptional and those that do the giving.  Ben Nabors has worked on this film for 5 years, beginning with a short.  It is about an extraordinary teen in Malawi who builds a windmill from scraps and library research in response to his family's hard times. What the filmmaker unabashedly shows through interviews and shared moments is the duality of need between William and his benefactors.  An extraordinary film that I highly recommend.
Then Lizzy caught up with me at the Violet Crown where the talented UT film student Amanda Yam assisted  mother and daughter in sitting together to see SNAP, a very scary film about a psychopath and a clinical social worker.  I was riveted and at the edge of my seat. 
Alas I was disappointed in THESE BIRDS WALK, a documentary about a 6 year old runaway in Karachi.  30 minutes of watching boys hit each other in a home for runaways with sad futures and painful longing for parents tapped me out.  Could be me so you might want to explore further.
MUSIC is in the house and Austin is hoppin'.  I love the throngs during the day and walking home is a hoot with people and music all around me.  I am delighted to be home!  More tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment