Saturday, March 9, 2013

SXSW Day #1

We began the evening with unusual choices for me.  Big headliners, one a comedy and the other a horror film both at 'The Paramount'.  Truth be told I wanted to wait over an hour on the Congress Avenue  line to get into the rhythm and energy of this incredible event that overtakes Austin.  It  reminds me of the fun and safe city that I now call home.  So we began with 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone' a thoroughly silly comedy about two Las Vegas magicians.  Steve Buscemi, James Gandolfini, Jim Carrey and Steve Carell must have had a lot of fun filming.  It's a truly silly film but I just loved seeing Alan Arkin as a famous magician living in a nursing home.  I am  reminded  of the great opportunity  we as viewers are given when older actors continue to perform.
Believe it or not I truly enjoyed 'Evil Dead.'  I picked it because of location (Paramount) and because Abe just loves horror films.  Fede Alvarez, director, and many of the actors were present and I enjoyed Mr. Alvarez's opening remarks.  What I really really loved about this film was the audience.  1200 people who just LOVE this genre and clap unabashedly at guts and gore and funny lines.  And so what I realized once again what I love about film is the community it draws together.  And so now I can actually say I appreciated a horror film.  And my husband was happy.  Walking back over the Congress Avenue bridge to retrieve our car and drive home is a perfect way to end a night appreciating Austin,  I welcome the visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment