Saturday, March 16, 2013

SXSW Day #9 and It's A Wrap!

The last day of films was one of the best for us.  Two fine documentaries.  This morning was 'The Continental' about life in the 70's in NYC where gay guys met and partied at the steambaths in the gorgeous landmark Ansonia hotel, and where Bette Midler and Patty LaBelle had their starts in performance life. We always love these walks back in time to our very changed NYC home.  And this afternoon was the beautifully made documentary about the wrongly accused Michael Morton, 'An Unreal Dream.'  A good Q&A with a packed house of Texans who remembered this story well.
And so I ended my 4th SXSW film series as an Austinite.  Learned  how to better navigate this film festival, and how to better understand and watch films.  I am filled with admiration for the  filmmakers I have met at Q&As and on lines chatting about their work.  So many have  sacrificed so much to make their films and do what they love.  And for that I am filled with gratitude.  I have come away a more enlightened  and educated person.

No comments:

Post a Comment