Friday, March 15, 2013

SXSW Day #8

The highlight of my day was the people we met on line and our conversations with them.   Filmmakers, their spouses, UFT Communications professors and a student who reminded me he once met me when I read a part of a rabbi for an audition.  (I was cast as a homeless bicycle thief for that one.)
'12 O'Clock Boys' was a truthful documentary about three years in a pre pubescent boy's life in West Baltimore as he yearns to join an illegal dirt bike gang.  His transformation from 10-13 reminds me of how much work we have to do  to strengthen and support the lives of our kids and their families in this country.
'She Loves Her Gun' is a narrative feature about a traumatized Brooklyn young woman who leaves NY following a violent incident and relocates to Austin.  Once again we see the 20 something Austin crowd in their milieu with favorite spots and locales.  While I really enjoyed the performances I thought the screenplay did not support a feature length film.  Would have preferred this as a short.
'Scenic Route' a story of two life long friends who share a stressful "over the top" ride cross country while confronting their relationship did not speak to us at all. 
I've come away from all of this film viewing acknowledging that my preference for SXSW films was clearly in the documentary categories.  My favorite narratives were in the wonderful shorts programs. 
Tomorrow is two documentaries: 'The Continental' and 'An Unreal Dream:Michael Morton.'  And then it's a wrap until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment