Friday, August 31, 2012

ROBOT AND FRANK

I am so happy I heard Frank Langella discuss his role and involvement in this film in an NPR interview not long ago. He met with the writer and director for hours before signing on and discussed with them what it is to be 70 years old. He asked them to incorporate the suggestions he made into their script and return with the script.  He liked what he read and that they had heard him. He agreed to sign on and for that we are fortunate.  This is a beautiful portrayal of a retired cat burglar who is beginning to lose some cognitive functions, particularly his memory.  His daughter SKYPES him and his son travels regularly to try to help him and visit but it's not working. So the son finds a robot to function as a home health aide.  Lovely voice of Peter Saarsgard as the robot.  Susan Sarandon as a librarian and Frank Langella as a rebellious character play older people respectfully and with a great deal of inner life, humor and intelligence.  Hallelujah!  I loved this film about a relationship between an aging man and a robot who respects him and follows his lead.  Damn, I hope my kids get me a robot when my time comes.

2 comments: