Thursday, May 24, 2012

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD/THE PARAMOUNT

We kicked off the Summer Classic Film Series tonight with this restored film of this glorious movie that celebrates it's 50th anniversary.  I saw it first at the Loew's Paradise on the Grand Concourse in the Bronx when I was 14.  A magnificent and palatial  old theater with gold fish in fountains in the lobby and stars overhead on the vaulted ceiling.  And tonight with a much older soul I watched it in the magnificent Paramount surrounded by tons of film fans who were all thrilled to begin this summer series of classics once again.  Free drinks and popcorn and friendliness all around.  A riveting story, a gorgeous Gregory Peck and a screenplay by Horton Foote.  And to once again have Atticus explain the world to his children is a story I can watch over and over again.  But this time with a much more informed and trained eye.  And for that I thank Chale and the Austin Film Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment