Thursday, May 17, 2012

Spelling Bee at Threadgill's/Helping Austin Public Libraries

Each year for the past 10 the CHRONICLE holds a Spelling Bee at Threadgill's with proceeds going to the Austin Public Library.  This year the funds raised are for the downloading of the children's book collections.  While I love, love, love the written word in book form I have come to accept the importance of making books accessible electronically..  Helping children to read is one of the most important ways we can improve their lives and the world's condition.  And so we happily go to Threadgill's knowing I won't make it past the first spelling test.  But who cares?  I get to see the diversity of great spellers, someone else cooks tonight, and once again I am aware that this is how you build community.  And tomorrow I go to the library to pick up my Guide to the West Side Studio Tour. I love my local Twin Oaks Library and Justin and Lance who have always been so helpful to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment