Saturday, May 26, 2012

BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL/Violet Crown

What a delightful film!  With aging British actors who act and look their age.  Judi Dench and Bill Nighy were my favorites, but when the whole ensemble of 7 actors is lined up in the airport waiting to get on with their journey, you are reminded you're about to see acting royalty.  And that is what this film brings us, as well as the sights, color, energy, light and almost the smells of Jaipur India.  Being a recent retiree who left  her lifelong home of NYC  to move  to Texas with a husband who does NOT LIKE CHANGE made this movie all the more poignant for me.  This film addresses the issues that face so many retirees: financial; health and medical coverage; past mistakes made by us and to us, and most importantly: "how do I choose to spend the rest of my life?"  For me coming to a whole new terrain was very right (I don't like the term "spot on" but if I did that's what I'd say).  And for Abe it's a work in progress and getting better all the time.
  Judi Dench keeps a blog in this film.  She writes daily about her experiences and the posts are narrated regularly.  I wonder if her daughter suggested that.  Thanks Liz.

1 comment: