Sunday, May 27, 2012

Onion Rings at the Highball

I'm probably the only Texas convert who doesn't eat fried chicken.  Everyone who knows me knows I rarely eat fried food.  Maybe some fries off of someone's plate (only when offered) but always accompanied by a salad. But last night I knew we'd be seeing a heavy film ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT, 1930 epic anti-war film and knew I wanted to be around up-beat bowlers, music and bar food.  So there you have it.  The onion rings at HIGHBALL are the very best I've ever eaten.  Even better than SCOBEE'S on Northern Boulevard in Little Neck, Queens where we spent every week-end eating after working at the Samuel Field YM-YWHA with challenged teens.  Couldn't stop telling Abe about Tim League's vision, entrepreneurial skills  and expansion since we've arrived in Austin.  Now my NYC friends will have their own Alamo Drafthouse but there is no question (as Abe said) "the audience will be much more challenging." 

 This was my first time seeing ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.  What a brilliant monumental feat.  Thousands of extras, wonderful cinematography and sound as well.  Hard to believe we went on to have another war after the viewing of this very real harrowing war film.  Good choice to see during Memorial Day week-end.

No comments:

Post a Comment