Thursday, March 3, 2011

KUT/Foundation Communities

We start our day listening to NPR.  One of my favorite perks since retiring to Austin.  While John Aielli is a controversial DJ who engenders such passion in listeners (pro and con) I just love him.  His opinionated old fashioned views about technology, young people, cell phones are a hoot!  But he loves Austin like I do and he goes to every cultural event and has the same enthusiasm I feel for this town.  I love when he describes his first drive here to UT...the landscape, the buildings.  And on Saturdays Abe won't miss the two brothers who discuss cars.  He laughs up a storm.  They drive me crazy.

 Abe has opted to continue working as a Social Work consultant in Austin.  Truth be told his transition to this great city was much...no, MUCH slower than mine.  Probably a year slower.  He is a die hard New Yorker who loves New York while acknowledging it's hardships. He works 3 afternoons a week at Foundation Communities residences with staff and residents who are at risk of homelessness.  He loves this work.  He has always felt at his best when he is listening to and caring about people with challenges of mental illness, substance abuse and poverty.  Austin, the world, and I are lucky to have this man in our midst.  (He won't be happy about this shout out, but I assure you it's deserved.)

1 comment: