Monday, April 29, 2013

What I Learned About Patti Smith Today

Patti Smith performed live today in Studio 1A at KUTX where I volunteered signing people in and welcoming them with their enthusiasm and mine!!  She entered the studio with a somber and pensive face.  And I waited outside for 10 minutes in case of latecomers.  And then I entered the sound booth to observe which is the best part of volunteering at KUTX.  Patti Smith has an extraordinary voice and plays a mean guitar.  She smiles a lot when talking to the audience and is very very optimistic about life and people.  When describing an encounter with the new Pope she discusses his spirituality, his goodness and her positive reaction.  She NEVER mentions the church's views on homosexuality or abortion or family planning.  She responds to the goodness in people.  She is a disciplined writer who writes every morning for 2 hours while she drinks coffee in a cafe.  She loves a laugh from her audience.  She wrote a song to Amy Winehouse which stuck me in my gut and she thanked Amy.  She thanked Richie Havens after she sang a song to him.  And she reminded me of everything in the 70's that was in my journey to become this 64 y.o. lady, a bit younger than her 66 years.  Oh yes.  Patti Smith and I are in our 60's and still kickin' and livin' a life.  Wrinkles and all.

1 comment: