Wednesday, January 23, 2013

George Saunders at Book People

We have arrived here in Austin!  Saunders and Sotomayor back to back.  It was a standing only crowd to hear George Saunders last evening at Book People.  Liz, her boyfriend Jared, Abe and I all got a chance to hear this unique and talented short story writer read  from his latest book The Tenth of December.  Jared's brother-in-law has been mentored by Saunders at Syracuse University the last few years so we were prepared to be in the presence of a warm human being.  Last week's piece about him in the NYT confirmed that as well.  Saunders has a bit of the stand-up  in him which delighted the audience.  I am sure the H.S. girls we met who were there on class assignment just loved his choice of a very sexy tale.  Their teacher admitted to being a bit "boggled" but he reminded her that American H.S. students know what "f***k" means.  I can't write that word on FB I've learned so forgive the stars.  They are definitely not me.  I recommend the book, it's been rotating around my family for a while.  Saunders deserves all of the accolades he's been receiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment