Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Winter Vegetarian Cooking Class @ Whole Foods

Tonight Liz and I ventured to Whole Foods to learn how to cook some winter veggie dishes.  Her birthday present to me.  While I love to cook I was a bit apprehensive as I shy away from 5 star restaurants and their chefs.  I find the recent attention to  high end food and it's preparation to be over the top, trendy, and intimidating.  But this class was great and not intimidating at all.  The teacher, Jason Edgar, Senior Chef Instructor was expert at making you feel relaxed and capable.  His assistant Chris was a great help as well. The menu this evening was delicious:  Wild Mushroom and Kale Tartlets;  Cinnamon Roasted Whole Carrots; Sunchokes with Bourbon Lacquered Cranberries and Pecans and Caramelized Parsnip Soup. 

I liked Jason's flexibility and when we told him we preferred to leave our soup chunky rather than  blended he didn't make us feel like we were committing a food crime.  I learned some very basic principles this evening:  how to properly cut and chop an onion; to never brown garlic first or with an onion; that roasted parsnip or sun chokes with olive oil, salt and pepper are the best potato substitute in the world!  And most important that fine food preparation does not have to be an intimidating exclusive club for food snobs.    Lovers of POLVO'S are certainly welcome.  A perfect birthday gift Liz.

2 comments:

  1. I am hungry reading about it. Such a nice gift!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you liked it! Liz

    ReplyDelete