Sunday, December 23, 2012

Armadillo Crafts Bazaar

Since arriving in Austin one of my favorite annual events is this crafts sale at Palmer Events Center where I hear great music, drink wine and support local artists.  I visit the fare a couple of times, pick my selections and then bring Abe back to confirm that he likes what I do.  This year it's a mosaic owl from Aly Winningham, my favorite mosaic artist in Austin, and an acrylic painting (rooster named Chester) by a folk artist, Jackie Haliburton (no relationship to Cheney whatsoever), who travels from Houston with her husband to sell her wonderful paintings of African American figures.  While I am not a lover of Christmas shopping I do love supporting local artists and this venue is perfect.  It's where I first heard Ray Wylie Hubbard and I've been a fan since!  Alas this year there was no Asleep at the Wheel.  KUT tells me Ray Benson is off in Montana.  There's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment