Wednesday, November 28, 2012

THE PROUD VALLEY/Austin Film Society

I am an easy touch for films about social injustice, workers' solidarity, resistance to corporate greed, and any film I've ever seen about miners.  Last night, guest curator Jim Kolmar, brought us The Proud Valley, starring Paul Robeson, an icon of a great  American who symbolizes the clear and beautiful voice of a fighter of injustice.  Mr. Robeson  was a London dweller for many years and was just loved by the British.  He lived with Welsh coal mining families to prepare for this role and it is obvious he was admired and embraced by them.
I loved this film for many reasons.  What was most striking was the role of women in this Welsh coal mining town.  A mother is an outspoken crusader who throws a snobby shopkeeper out of her home, who stands up for her son's and husband's right to be treated fairly, who raises a little girl who is bold, audacious and unafraid.  I also loved the coal miners embracing Mr. Robeson's character who comes to town to work, and of course to sing (it's Paul Robesen!) with the men's choir.  While it's a fair criticism to note this is a sentimental view of a strong character, willing to sacrifice everything for people who helped him, it's best to remember it's 1938, Hitler is advancing and I'd say sentiment is a fine emotion given the times.  And today I woke up to read  Jim's notes.  It's like taking an online course in Welsh cinema!  Thank-you AFS for these wonderful films.  And Chale I can't wait for that series on Paul Robeson.

1 comment:

  1. Was this based on a book? I can swear I know this story. I will ask Kathy to rent this, along with the other. Sounds great!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete