Sunday, November 11, 2012

ARGO and SKYFALL

Against the backdrop of my Long Island and Staten Island friends back in NY really suffering, I don't forget for a second how fortunate I am to be living in Austin with both of our children.  This could have played out so differently had Josh and Liz lived on the East Coast.  With that in mind I continue to see a few films a week with the only difference being I don't send my recommendations to NYC friends.  I hope for the day soon to do that once again.

I just loved both of these action films.  Hats off to Ben Affleck for his direction of ARGO, this incredible story of a covert operation taking place during the 1979 hostage crisis in Iran.  While accurate historical information provided at the beginning clearly shows our involvement in deposing of the elected leader of Iran (for oil!) and replacing him with the notorious Shah, one nevertheless roots for the Americans to be returned shortly.  A great depiction of Hollywood movers, shakers and dealers, played by Alan Arkin and John Goodman.  I've read some criticism of Tony Mendez being played by a non Latino and I would agree.  I was startled when Affleck gave his name as Tony Mendez.  I recommend this film for anyone who loves films and the filmmaking process.

Josh, Abe and I loved SKYFALL, the latest James Bond film.  Daniel Craig while getting older is a heartthrob, Javier Bardem plays evil like no one else these days, the women are gorgeous, the sets unbelievably beautiful and who doesn't love Judi Dench as M?  This is a great action packed film.  Oh, and the wardrobe!  Gorgeous.  Posted by a sometimes very superficial blogger.

1 comment: