Sunday, November 25, 2012

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

Yikes!  I rarely, rarely write a thumbs down post.  And particularly for a film that so many people raved about at Austin Film Festival. We got the last two seats when I went on line to reserve at the Violet Crown so for sure I was pumped!  But yikes.  I found the screenplay given to the actors annoying.  And while I honor the extraordinary performance of Jennifer Lawrence and just loved that her dance number with Bradley Cooper reflected them perfectly, I found myself annoyed and irritated with the explosions, football fights and De Niro's relationship to his friend, football, and betting.  I am  comfortable with the world of mental illness having worked with so many diverse people as a social worker.  But truth be told, it's not on my hot list of topics for viewing.  While the arguments between family members were real the ultimate consequences for the characters were not.  Thank-you Dr. Patel for portraying a psychiatrist with some sense and warmth and humanity!  Enough of this negative review!

No comments:

Post a Comment