Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mama Moment

I've had an unusual two weeks  managing Josh's move to Austin. He touched down on Sunday and left on Monday flying to Miami and Boston this week.  Next week he leaves for Boston and NYC.    He finds the work challenging, has friends in the cities he visits and I can tell he's happy even with all of the flying.  And so I have waited for the moving men, unpacked tons of stuff, waited for furniture deliveries, assembled bar stools and a side table, and have learned more about my son through this process than I would have ever been able to  if we had a sit down face to face.  First: he has 60 T-shirts that all announce who he is: a lover of the METS and Wisconsin football, a cyclist, a hiker, a softball and baseball player, a visitor to Austin, a Brooklyn native, and a funny guy.  He has a ton of books. He's kept all of his Badger newspapers where he had a column in college. He has kept some baseball and basketball trophies.  While he lived like a monk in D.C. he has more clothes than even I would have ever imagined.  He cooks and even has tupperware!  Based on his belongings I can tell he's lived a decent life these last ten years and has held on to important things from his past.  And while I am beat and looking forward to his settling in I am grateful for having had  this opportunity.  A true "mama moment."

1 comment:

  1. So sweet!
    You can learn so much from what one owns.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete