Sunday, March 9, 2014

SXSW Day#3

Waited on line for a long time and got in to see the much anticipated BOYHOOD by Richard Linklater.  I am convinced I am the only person in the theater and on the streets of Austin who did not care for this film.  I found the story to be boring.  I did not find the family, the challenges they faced or their responses to be interesting or engaging.  I could not grasp the excitement that buzzed all around me about this film. People were  gushing about sets and music and design being truthful to the years as the actors grew in time. Good films are always truthful to the era they depict even as the era changes. I kept waiting to get pinched, for something to occur to make me care about these people. I felt it was a love affair with Texas and many of the challenges and stories that women and kids feel growing up in Texas.  I think it's a regional film and don't see it as having a universal appeal.

This evening we did not get into the cult film FAULTS but were absolutely delighted by Mike Myers well made documentary  The SUPERMENSCH about the talent  manager of stars Shep Gordon.  A human, humorous and honest portrayal of this man's journey to success as well as his lifelong personal challenges.  The Q&A with Myers, Gordon, and Tom Arnold was heartwarming and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment