Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wendy Davis Filibuster

I got to the Capitol Senate at 10:30a.m. to stand up for Wendy Davis, a State Senator fighting to keep abortion clinics open in Texas and provide access to these facilities for all women.  She planned on a 13 hour filibuster to prevent Republicans passing a bill that would close down all but 5 of these clinics.  She's a tiny beautiful 50y.o. Harvard educated lawyer who was a 19y.o. single mother.  Talk about a journey! She spoke for 10 hours while twice being caught on violations from The Taliban Texans (Republicans) who were so mean to her.  One violation was when Sen. Ellis helped her put on a back brace! Hundreds of people lined up to hear her talk.  I stayed until 4PM when I left to pee and get something to eat and returned at 4:30 until the end.  The gallery EXPLODED at 10 P.M. when she was given her third violation.  The Dems held the stage as they argued rules and procedures because for sure The Taliban knew they'd have a riot on their hands if they stopped the session and called for a vote on the bill. We cheered and clapped from 11:40 when a female senator reminded the President (Dewhurst) that female senators are never heard when they make motions until past midnight when they did a quiet vote at the podium.  The "brown cops" tried to make us leave, many did.  I did NOT appreciate a brown clothed cop pushing me out the door, told him so and ducked inside.  Ugh!  I did not like him! And so we end this day with the Taliban getting their vote passed illegally (past midnight) and them getting the message:  "We're Here, maybe queer. a lot smarter and kinder than you."  The whole world was watching tonight.  When Wendy Davis becomes governor maybe then Abe will stop saying "Texas is an awful state."  I will work so hard to make Wendy Davis our next governor.  I want Abe to feel better about Austin being in Texas.  For my kids too.

1 comment:

  1. Think of it like a fairy tale, Addie (you know how I love those!)-the good Texas and the bad Texas. You live in the good Texas.

    It is why and how I manage NYC. I make my life the good NYC. And there was such a good outcome; it made the 10 o' clock news. Way to go, gal!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete